Q: Why should I paint my home?
A: Most people see painting a home as a mere cosmetic procedure. However, a new coat of paint also has practical benefits. Fresh paint on your home’s interior and exterior surfaces protects against damage from harmful weather elements and general wear and tear for a long time.
However, it’s no doubt that a new paint job plays a significant role in creating your home’s overall look and mood. It can boost your home’s curb appeal and even increase its property value, which will be helpful, especially if you have plans to put your home on the market.
A quality residential paint job combines aesthetics with strength and durability. This is why you want to consider your choices of colors and finishes carefully. If you’re in doubt, ask certified painting experts in the Bay Area for their professional opinion, advice, and recommendations.
Q: How many coats of new paint do you apply?
A: Unless specified, we apply two coats of paint in most of our projects. Two coats of paint are enough to hide surface imperfections and make the paint job last longer.
Q: What type or brand of paints do you use and why?
A: We purchase the paints we use on every job from the Kelly-Moore Paint Company. However, we will use other brands our customers would prefer.
Q: What are the types of paint finishes?
A: Here are the most common types of paint finishes:
- Flat and matte finishes – Flat or matte paints have the least amount of sheen. While they have excellent coverage, they are the least durable and, therefore, are prone to damage when cleaned or scrubbed. They can be applied in living rooms, bedrooms, and other areas that receive little traffic.
- Eggshell – Eggshell is the most popular finish for residential painting projects. It is often considered the “happy medium” between flat and high-gloss paints. Professional painters often use this finish in areas that receive moderate traffic, such as living rooms, children’s bedrooms, powder rooms, and guest bathrooms. Eggshell is slightly more durable than flat paints and can withstand cleaning and wiping.
- Satin – Another popular finish, satin is a slightly shinier counterpart of eggshell. It suits high-traffic areas like bathrooms, kitchens, children’s playrooms, laundry rooms, and entrance halls. Due to its velvety sheen, satin works fine for areas with very little natural light. While satin is more durable than flat, it is more likely to show brush strokes, making future touch-ups a little challenging.
- Semi-gloss – Semi-gloss paints have a higher degree of sheen than eggshell and satin. They’re highly durable, resistant to moisture and grease, and washable. Semi-gloss paints are best used in areas with a lot of wear and tear, moisture, and humidity, such as bathrooms, kitchens, washrooms, and children’s playrooms. They are also great for trim. However, they tend to show more imperfections than less shiny paints.
- High-gloss or glossy – High-gloss paints are the epitome for giving off the highest amount of sheen, durability, and washability. They’re best applied for cabinets, trim, and woodwork. But high-gloss paints can show a lot of imperfections when misapplied, so careful prep work is necessary before using this type of paint.
Q: Should a surface always be primed before painting?
A: Not all paint projects require priming. However, it’s especially crucial in the following situations:
- Brand new drywall
- After the removal of peeling old paint
- Drastic color change (such as painting a lighter color over a darker one)
Q: Can you advise me on selecting the correct color?
A: You should consider the three main factors influencing your decision to choose paint colors: light, room decor, and architecture.
An ideal color (or color scheme) should take all these three elements in order to create the right balance and harmony in any space. Custom Painting, Inc. offers a free color consultation service with any scheduled paint job.
Q: What does your paint consultation service consist of?
A: Our expert consultants can help you find a new trendy paint style or the best ways to incorporate traditional paints and methods. We discuss the type of service you want for your home, the painting process, and the estimated time and budget. We also discuss the colors, finishes, and application methods if needed. Our consultation service is ready to answer your questions and help you feel confident in our abilities.
Q: Are you licensed and insured?
A: Yes, we are. We are licensed – our state contractor license number is 512717. We also carry general liability and worker’s compensation insurance.
Q: Do you provide references?
A: Yes, we provide local references upon request.
Q: Do you provide a free estimate?
A: Yes, we provide free estimates and consultations.
Q: How long will it take to paint our house, apartment, condominium, etc.?
A: Every residential paint project is unique. For instance, a two-bedroom apartment will take between 2 to 5 days to complete, but bigger homes take a few weeks and even months to complete.
Q: Do you offer a warranty?
A: Yes, we offer a one-year workmanship warranty for all our paint projects, and it’s always in writing. Extended warranties are also available. In addition, we provide a one-year warranty on floor surfaces.